Tuesday 22 February 2011

I Love This Carrot Soup!

A friend of mine gave me the best carrot soup recipe ever. Every time I make it I feel like a good cook (even though I'm not so much). I told my husband yesterday that I would make it today, and he held me to it. I offered to pick him up from work and he chose to take the bus home instead, so that I could stay home and make the soup (it takes me awhile to make it). That's how much he likes it, and he always has seconds. Let me share this hearty, thick, healthy recipe with you:

3 tbsp butter or margerine
1 large onion, chopped
1-2 cloves of garlic, crushed
3 cups carrots, sliced
3 3/4 cups vegetable bouillon
3/4 tsp ground cumin
2 celery stalks, thinly sliced
1 cup potato, diced
2 tsp tomato paste
2 tsp lemon juice
2 fresh or dried bay leaves
about 1 1/4 cups skim milk
salt and pepper

-Melt the butter or margerine in a large pan. Add the onion and garlic and cook very gently until soft.

-Add the carrots and cook gently for a further 5 minutes, stirring frequently and taking care they don't brown. 

 -Add the bouillon, cumin, seasoning, celery, potato, tomato paste, lemon juice, and bay leaves and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for about 30 minutes until the vegetables are tender (I find if you cut the veggies small enough you can cook it for about 20 minutes if you're in a rush).

-Remove and discard the bay leaves, cool the soup a little (I never cool it myself, I just use a hand blender right away in the pot, I'm always in too much of a rush), then press it through a strainer or process in a food processor or blender until smooth.

-Pour the soup into a clean pan, add the milk, and bring to a boil over low heat.  Taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary.

Serves 4-6, prepares in 15 min (takes me longer, I guess I am slow), cooks in 45 min.

Enjoy!!!

PS I usually double this recipe so that I have lots left over, perfect for freezing or having for a few nights in a row.

1 comment:

Brighter Scribe said...

Oh yummy! I know what I'm making for dinner! Thanks for sharing.

Post a Comment