Sunday 8 May 2011

Last Night A DJ Saved My Life

Last night a few girlfriends and I went out for a night on the town (in Vancouver), to celebrate my friend Brighter Scribe's birthday. It was a bit of a gong show, but in a good way. There was a lot of typical girl stuff, like taking too long to leave, (it's hard for four mom's to get ready to go out, because we all have our kids to deal with at the same time) and forgetting things and having to go back for them. I alone forgot the gift for the birthday girl, my bus pass and my earrings, and Brighter forgot her rings. And then getting to the restaurant, we didn't realize the hockey game was on, so we had to wait for half an hour to be seated because the place was so packed. Once we got seated though dinner was perfect, there was delicious food, yummy drinks (I had 2 Belinnis, my favorite!) and great conversation. And we were all so excited to go dancing. Being moms who barely ever go dancing, the anticipation had us a bit giddy (and of course the drinks helped too).


Once we were done dinner we headed for the club, Library Square, for 80s night (with some 90s thrown in there too). Weird name I know, it doesn't entice a picture of a dance club atmosphere, but it's actually just perfect. Except for the line ups. Last time I went there I waited for an hour and a half to get in. So I said, this time lets go early, and we did, but we still had to wait. We waited almost an hour outside, but luckily it wasn't raining and the night wasn't too cold. I felt bad that we had to wait, because the place was my idea and I didn't want everyone to be irritated with me, and give up and go home early. But we were troopers. Being the moms that we are, I guess we have all developed a great amount of patience. And once we got in, it was well worth the wait! I danced for over 4 hours straight and I loved every minute of it. The music was awesome! 


This was the first song we heard last night, that really got us to start dancing (there were a few when we first got in, that weren't so good, but after this one played they just got better and better from there). And it ended up feeling like a bit of a theme song for me. I was playing it in my head when I woke up this morning and thought that it was just so fitting for my night.

 

At about 2 am, two of the ladies wanted to go home, they were done (and I can understand why, it was a long/but awesome night). But Brighter wanted to stay until close, she was like "it's my birthday and I am staying until the lights turn on." And so I gladly stayed with her, I used to (back in the day) stay out all night long and go to after parties and all night breakfast places and not get home until 8 in the morning sometimes. Even though I haven't done anything like that in years, my adventurous side will gladly have me stay until the bitter end of a fun night;  I don't want to miss out on anything and I want to live the night to the fullest. 


During the night my friend Brighter, got chummy with one of the DJs, and he was really great. He settled a bet of ours and he played all of our requests; he even rescued her from an overly gropey dance partner. At the end of the night he played two of my favorites for me, Deee-Lite's "Groove Is In The Heart" and ABBA's "Dancing Queen" and left me feeling very grateful. It's amazing how one night out can rejuvenate you, and dancing can make you feel young again. Not that I am old, it's just that I don't always feel young. I know they say "you're as young as you feel," but being a parent and a responsible adult, doesn't always give the allure or feeling of youthfulness. So thank you Patrick the DJ (and thank you to my girls too!), last night was awesome and exactly what I needed!!!

 
PS. Happy Mother's Day to all of you lovely mommies out there. I hope your day was a special one!!!